I haven’t written in some time now, but that doesn’t mean I haven’t been thinking about writing. I just needed more time to order the thoughts that have been running through my head.
Lately life has been tough. I don’t want this to be a whine fest so I’ll spare you most of the details but I will say that so many things happening all at once will test the resolve of the most optimistic person to the fullest. I like to believe I am an optimist to a fault. Every cloud has a silver lining, every bad thing happens for a reason and things will always get better eventually.
I’m sure I am overly annoying to some people with this attitude towards life but it’s who I am and I’m not sure I’d change if I could.
Being in the midst of a job search while my wife is also in the midst of a job search can be one of the hardest things on one’s self esteem.
Silver lining guy says things like:
- We are at least getting paid to look for jobs (both of us received decent severance packages)!
- This is an opportunity! We could do something really special with this gift!
- When the time is right the right job will surface!
Realist person says things like:
- I didn’t know how good I had it (and now it’ll never be that good again)!
- How could I have been so stupid to have volunteered for this!
- I’ll never be able to earn what I used to earn at my last job!
- I’m not qualified for anything anymore!
It is so difficult to put out dozens of job applications and not get any calls for interviews. It’s equally frustrating getting several seemingly good interviews and then not get hired. Both scenarios really kill self-esteem. And one thing you really need is a great deal of self-esteem in order to sell yourself to prospective employers.
So I have a question for all of my readers (which may not be very many people but I’ll take any advice I can get)! How do you boost and/or maintain your level of self-esteem when you are feeling a bit beat up?
Things I’ve tried:
- Exercising (to keep my mind sharp and the endorphins seem to help)
- Listening to music
- Staying busy (I’m working part time at a bike shop at the moment)
- Trying to stick with my diet by logging meals and eating to a calorie goal
What else works for you guys?